The monastery is built tall on the rock’s small footpring. It was founded in the 14th century and its catholikon was decorated skillfully by the famous Cretan painter Theofanis o Kris (Theofanis Strelitzas Bathas) in 1527.
In the chappel of St. Anthony the 14th century wall paintings are still visible.
Winter Hours: Closed
Summer Hours: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
of the Great Meteoron
or Moni Metamorfoseos tou Sotiros
(Monastery of the Transformation of the Savior)
This was the first monastery built at Meteora. It was built in the 14th c. (1387-1388) by St. Athanasios and was dedicated first to “Theotoko” and later to the Transfiguration of Christ. The monastery was expanded by the Serbian emperor Symeon Uros when he decided to become the second monk-owner of the monastery, changed his name to Holy Ioasaf and transferred all his riches to the monastery. The sculls of both of the first founders are still in residence at the monastery among the bones of other monks.
The building was rebuilt once again in 1544 and was expanded in subsequent years. The monastery houses many historical artifacts, wood carvings, and paintings. The library of the monastery houses 640 handwritten manuscripts, the oldest one written in 861 CE.
Today 400 steps take visitors to the monastery.
Winter Hours: 9:00 - 1:00 and 3:00 - 5:00. Closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays
Summer Hours: 9:00 - 1:00 and 3:30 - 6:00. Closed on Tuesdays
The Roussanou monastery is dedicated to the “Transformation of the Christ” and also to St. Barbara who is honored on the 4th of December. The monastery covers the entire terrace of a long-narrow rock and it is accessed by several steps and two bridges. The hike from “Psaropetra” is an easy treck under the shade of thick vegetation.
It was built in 1530 and decorated with frescoes by an unknown artist in 1560.
Winter Hours: 9:00 - 1:00 and 3:00 - 5:00. Closed on Wednesdays
Summer Hours: 9:00 - 5:45.
The monastery of Varlaam, in proximity to the Great Meteoron monastery, is named for the hermit of the same name who climbed the rock and made it his refuse in 1350. Later in 1517 two brothers from Ioannina, Theophanes and Nektarios Apsarades climbed on the rock and rebuilt the deserted chapel Varlaam had created.
The little chapel became a monastery and was expanded in subsequent years. Theban icon painters decorated the monastery first in 1548 and then in 1566.
Besides the wall paintings the monastery houses an important collection of manuscripts and artifacts.
Winter Hours: 9:00 - 1:00 and 3:00 - 5:00. Closed on Thursdays and Fridays
Summer Hours: 9:00 - 1:00 and 3:30 - 6:00. Closed on Thursdays
Agia Triada (Holy Tninity) offers the most spectacular view of Kalambaka, Penios River, and the Pindos mountains beyond. It is also the least visited of the Meteora monasteries thanks to the number of steps a visitor has to climb.
It was first built in 1362 and rebuilt and expanded in 1475. The brother priests Antonios and Nicolaos decorated its walls in 1741, but the wall paintings inside the carved rock were painted in 1682
Winter Hours: 9:00 - 12:30 and 3:00 - 5:00. Closed on Thursdays
Summer Hours: 9:00 - 5:45. Closed on Thursdays
Agios Stefanos monastery is easily accessed through a road and was first built in the15th century and was rebuilt in the 16th century. The catholikon of the monastery is dedicated to St. Haralambus and was built in the 19th century by the monk Ambrosios.
Winter Hours: 9:00 - 1:00 and 3:00 - 5:00. Closed on Mondays
Summer Hours: 9:00 - 1:00 and 3:30 - 6:00. Closed on Mondays
Located on a more isolated rock to the north and west of Kastraki, Ipapantis monasteri is not open to the public. It was abandoned for many years and was recently restored by the ministry of culture. It was built in 1366 by saint Neilos who also painted the fresoes on the walls. The original paintings are still visible.
The ruins of the Agios Georgios monasteri are visible in a large carvern above Kastraki village. The most visible part of it is the colorful line of colorful scarfs that are hang on lines. Every year on the day when St. George is honored the local youth climb the rock with ropes to replace the scarves with new ones.
To enter the monasteries of Meteora a dress code is strictly enforced. Men must wear long pants and women long skirts. Sleeveless shirts are not allowed.
Entry fee for each monastery is €1.50.
Greek citizens get to enjoy free entry.
Moni of Great Meteoro: 2432-022278
Moni Agios Nikolaos: 2432-022375
Moni Agios Stefanos: 2432-22279
Moni Agia Triada: 2432-022220
Moni Roussanou: 2432-022649
Moni Varlaam: 2432-022277